Saturday, July 25, 2009

Great Strength of Feet

Well, I have officially done it. I seem to have finally moved into the world of being a truly responsible adult. If you know me well, you know that I am the kind of person who always gets her work done on time. There are no exceptions, short of me being in the hospital that will prevent me from turning in an assignment on the day and time it is due. Now, does this mean that I will get the work done far in advance so I can get through the days without pulling all-nighters? No, most definitely not. I'm a skilled procrastinator, and in fact serve as president of the procrastinator's club, because of my amazing creativity in avoiding work. But hell must have finally frozen over, because I actually completed my sermon YESTERDAY--as in FRIDAY... and not even Friday at midnight, but Friday at about 5pm! I know this might sound like a small thing to most people, but I usually just accept the fact that I will be awake until 3am Sunday morning finishing up my sermons. This is a huge feat for me!

Now don't get me wrong, I am also of the firm belief that a sermon is never really... complete. It can always use improving, but to actually have a full manuscript that is ready to be preached this soon in advance is simply beyond my comprehension. So now I wonder... is it being vicar that has turned me into a responsible adult? Or have I simply grown weary of functioning on so little sleep.

Regardless, I now get to have today to read through it a few times, work out what I'm going to say for my children's sermon (and pray I manage to stay on track with it!), and spend the evening cleaning and relaxing in prepartion for Sunday afternoon.

On another note, I am looking forward to my supervisor's return from New Orleans. I have a lot of things that I am looking forward to discussing with him, and there seems to be tons of planning to do for the next few weeks when he'll be away again. I was originally a little anxious at the thought of being left alone so early in my internship, but now that it comes down to it, I'm feeling far more confident than I ever thought I would, and think that maybe this was just what I really needed to grow into my role as vicar.

At any rate, it is sad that it is a Saturday and I am in the office again, when I should be out enjoying my day off, and this beautiful weather, so I suppose I shall wrap up my work here and head on home, first to clean, and then perhaps to enjoy this gorgeous day, either with a swim or by reading a book on my balcony.... Pax to you all... and depending on how the sermon goes tomorrow, maybe I will even consider posting it for further discussion :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment